Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Audience Analysis



            Perhaps one of my favorite things about my class is the varied demographics, which also adds complexities when analyzing them as a whole audience. From teenagers still in high school to people who graduated decades ago, and men and women alike, the class is diverse. For one thing, some are technology savvy and that aspect of this course is a breeze, while others grew up in a much different generation and may struggle more with some of the procedures and technological jargon. This is something to be considered. However, as for writing style, this audience seems pretty laid back, in that they write very thoughtful, intelligent works, but have a sense of comfort around everyone in the class. Because of this, it is less daunting to write for them because of the comfortable atmosphere and accepting attitudes when they read, even when it is something more personal.
            Through both questions asked, and the answers said questions received, I was able to gain some insight as to who exactly my audience is. One thing to consider is caution. Through the questions posed on the discussion board, I learned some tragic things about some of my audience that happened at some point in their lives. It gives me cause to pause when broaching subjects of family and loss, and to take a softer approach to an audience that is more emotionally involved than, say, a group of business professionals at a board meeting. I also learned that many members of my audience gravitate towards ideological writing, than writing about materialistic things. For example, I feel that when doing personal writing, topics of love, memories, and family would be better received than a new outfit I bought at the store. This audience is mature and the writing bounced back and forth reflects that. Another aspect to be considered is that while we are encouraged to write freely and sometimes personally, this is an academic audience and must be treated as such. A level of professionalism must be upheld to promote success both for myself as the writer, and for them as my audience.  
On the other hand, I believe this audience is an accepting one. From all of the responses I have gotten, I can see this is a learning experience, and we all accept, constructively criticize, and encourage each other. So, I don’t feel I should ever be so concerned with analyzing this audience that I dull my self-expression. I have my own individual, somewhat recognizable, voice and writing style, just as everyone else in the class does. It’s what keeps our writing fresh, memorable, and enjoyable to read. I will always be conscientious of my audience, but it is also my goal to hold on to my creativity as a writer.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice analysis. You are right. Your audience is both varied and not. As with all audiences, there are universal understandings which allow us to connect to one another and a basic human level. Good work. Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete