Saturday, September 12, 2015

How My Best Friend Would Describe Me-9/12/15



He looks over at me in the middle of class, and we instantly begin hysterically laughing for no apparent reason. He is one of my best friends. Abraham has seen my many sides: giggling or bawling, whispering secrets or yelling in anger. It causes me to wonder…how does he see me vs. how I see myself? Does anyone really, truly know me? Perception is key. For this journal entry, I enlisted his help. I asked him to write down, on an organized piece of paper, the positive and negatives of me physically and non-physically. I have waited until this moment to read the paper. Below is what I found from his mind. I am anxious to see how it fits with my own self-perception.
Abraham describes me as being blonde, tall, blue-eyed, and with a fair complexion (probably a jab at the lack of sunlight, or tan, I was able to get from working so much the past summer, a fact he knows bothers me because I don’t like being pale). He wrote I have a nice smile, which is something I have heard before. I guess the years of braces paid off, and I will admit my teeth are whitish and straight. However, he describes me as being beautiful and then goes on to state that I wear makeup even though I don’t need it, both of which I disagree with. As for non-physical, Abraham writes I am: selfless, intelligent, helpful, courageous, and funny. Funny and selfless are the ones that meant the most when I read them because those are two things I hope to be. I have never tried to be the class clown or the comedian in the room, but I really love making my friends and family laugh, and I would like to think I am funny at times. Whether or not I am selfless in my opinion depends on the situation. I can recall multiple times I have made decisions with regard to others above myself, but I can also regretfully recall instances I acted quite selfishly. For the negatives, he writes that I stress him out sometimes, and myself out a lot. I agree with this 100%. I am very stressed out, and sometimes add unnecessary stress for worrying about things out of my control. I know this gets unloaded onto him at times. Also according to him, I need to learn how to better take a joke. In some ways, he is probably right. He goes on to say I overreact at times and the two go hand in hand. I could definitely work on those things. Finally he wrote on the very top of the paper “she’s the best friend anyone could ask for, well except me.” I admittedly laughed and rolled my eyes. That right there is why I am proud to call him my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment