Thursday, September 10, 2015

What I Learned This Week-9/10/15



I learned a lot about my classmates this week. We had the opportunity to exchange questions with one another and glean knowledge on a more personal level as to how each of us thinks and where our priorities lie. This was an interesting experience for me. Learning about them and from them helped me to analyze all of them as my writing audience. Audience analysis was a concept unknown to me, but now I understand just how important identifying your audience and writing accordingly is. It allows for more effectiveness. I learned the importance of first drafts, and how crucial it is to get every thought down on paper at first, without regards to editing or how they sound in their current state. I am learning that not every mistake truly is one, meaning some are actually the foundations upon which some of my best writing is built upon.

Another thing I learned was from the Wes Moore reading and the discussion that ensued. I learned how huge of a role nature vs. nurture plays in this story. Two boys with the same name and similarities in their life made decisions that led one to success and happiness and the other to life in prison. It made me think of my own life, and just how big of an impact every single choice I make has, even if the consequences (whether positive or negative) are not immediately clear at the time.

Finally, I learned the impact freewriting and other forms of daily writing can greatly impact and improve fluency and speed. I am learning to think and reflect more critically. I have also learned that writing capabilities are within everyone but, like anything else, is improved with practice, repetition, and an open mind. Fluency is achieved with lots of practice!


No comments:

Post a Comment