Saturday, September 26, 2015

My Prized Possessions-9/25/15

I am not a terribly materialistic person in most ways. However, don't get me wrong, I love my "stuff", just as I love shopping and various other hobbies that gain nothing more than worldly items. Such items bring me amusement, entertainment, and joy. but I do not hold all of them  equally dear to me. I have a way of gauging just how much something truly means to me. It is a scenario of sorts that I place in my head in which my house is burning down. I have limited time and limited ability to save my stuff. I must ask myself what I get to safety first, and why?
Firstly, I would save my dog. He is living, breathing, and loving and for that reason is one of my priorities. However, I would also be sure and save my pictures (photo albums), laptop, and cork board. The memories contained within and the work put into those things are irreplaceable. Pictures freeze a moment in time, and they are moments I could never get back. If I lost my pictures, I would be devastated. I would also for sure grab my folder of my writings, mainly poetry. Years worth of sadness, despair, anger, and joy flowed onto those pages, and I could not recreate or duplicate them even if I tried. I would also want my hope chest which contains memorabilia from as early as birth, and my journal which details all the big events in my life.
Finally, trying to be resourceful, practical, and because I'm a girl, I would make a mad grab for clothes. shoes, and jewelry. I'd save my favorite clothes and shoes, and my most valuable or sentimental jewelry first. I'd like to hope I could just toss all the contents of my entire room out windows to safety below, but if I had to choose, I know exactly where I'd start.

No comments:

Post a Comment