Sunday, September 20, 2015

Dealing With Anger-9/19/15



Anger is a raw emotion. It is universal and it is powerful. Anger lives within us all, and surfaces sometimes. Depending on the person, it can be dealt with in a multitude of ways. I hope to write how I deal with my anger, and how I could improve.

I have a temper, and it is a pretty well-known fact. I am much, much better at dealing with it and controlling it now than I have been at times in the past. I have never had “anger issues” but I do have a fiery temper depending on the situation. I am by no means a therapist, but I do consider myself available to talk, or even just listen, to those who want or need it. Some people utilize me for that, and others do not. Anger is natural and it is human, though what may make one person laugh could infuriate another. The whole “count to ten and breathe deeply” is a nice thought, and works under the right conditions, but to attempt that in times of true, blood is coursing, anger, is almost laughable. When in the moment, it is quite hard to instantly go into Zen mode. That is why my number one approach when listening or giving advice is empathy. I put myself in the other person’s shoes to see why they are angry, and usually, I can see that that would probably anger me too, even if the degree was different. This attitude of empathy is the same approach I use when someone important to me is mad at me for one reason or another.

Now, for my own personal philosophy at dealing with my anger. Sometimes, I am terrible at it. I definitely need to learn how to bite my tongue so I don’t escalate the situation further, just as I need to work on not getting riled up so easily to begin with. There is, however, one thing I have learned and that I try to remember each day. It is the most important thing to think of when dealing with my anger. Choose your battles. Enough said.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. I, too, have worked on anger. I now take a more mindful approach which allows anger to reside somewhere other than within myself. Have you tried mindfulness? ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete