Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Superpower of Choice-9/23/15



I have always wondered what superhuman power I would choose, if I got to pick one in my life. Once I finally realized what power I would choose, it was so obvious, it has remained the same answer each time I’m asked. From my experience asking this question, the most common answers are invisibility, the ability to fly, and shape-shifting. Mine is none of these, and I have never heard anyone share my sentiment. I would choose the power to read minds.

Many people scoff at me when I state that as my power of choice, but personally, I would love it. However, if it was by my own design, my abilities would not mean hundreds of thought bubbles screaming out to me all at once as I am, say, walking down the hallway at school or walking through the mall. It would be something that I could shut on and off, and would be something I chose when to use, and who to use it on.

There would be potential negatives and repercussions that come with such power, however. I can think of a few occasions that people biting their tongue probably spared my feelings or my confidence. There have been more than a few times in life I can safely say I am thankful I was not subjected to the feelings of those around me. I know it would bring about opportunities to get hurt or even mad when I would get unfiltered thoughts. It could also allow me to ruin things like surprises.

However, I can’t even imagine the freedom such a power would bring. Such purity, and honesty, sounds great in a world of censorship and political correctness. I think it would be refreshing to have even a glimmer into some people’s mind and their life. The thought of someone even attempting to get into my mind is a scary thought. It’s a mushy conglomeration of sadness, memories, anger, song lyrics, and Spongebob quotes. But, to one day be able to read people’s minds, would be amazing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment